In this day in age, toothbrushes come in all different shapes and sizes. Patients have the choice of picking a toothbrush that fits their oral health needs. Toothbrushes are used to remove debris from the teeth, freshen the breath, and brighten the smile. There are an array of toothbrushes that can meet your unique needs. Whatever toothbrush you choose, it is imperative you learn the proper ways to clean, store, and maintain your toothbrush.
As a Dawson Academy trained dentist, Dr. Rajeev Upadya knows better anyone that preventive dental care is the foundation of a healthy smile. At Metropolitan Center for Complete Dentistry in East Hanover, NJ, Dr. Upadya, and our dental care team are committed to patient education to help equip our patients with the knowledge they need to improve their dental health. In this post, we will discuss the proper ways to care for your toothbrush. When used effectively, your toothbrush can help improve your dental health.
Maintaining Your Toothbrush
Keep in mind these key tips for properly maintaining your toothbrush.
- Keep your toothbrush in an open space and in an upright position. Toothpaste, debris, and bacteria can build up between the bristle if your toothbrush is not stored properly. The water needs to be drained after every used to avoid product buildup.
- Clean your toothbrush after each use. Make sure you thoroughly rinse your toothbrush with water after you finish brushing. Rinsing your toothbrush helps remove debris and bacteria.
- Replace your toothbrush every 3-4 months. You use your toothbrush every day, twice a day. Your toothbrush is bound to get frayed or damaged, making it an ineffective tool in your journey to better oral health. Be sure you keep an eye out for frayed bristles or the 3-month mark, so you know when it’s time to replace your toothbrush
- Store your toothbrush away from your toilet. When you flush the particles from the toilet can become airborne and may land on your toilet.
- Find the right toothbrush for your personal needs. Finding the right toothbrush for your specific needs can improve your oral hygiene routine. Some patients may opt for the standard toothbrush, while other patients may choose an electric toothbrush.
To maintain a beautiful, healthy smile, brush your teeth twice a day, floss daily, and schedule regular visits to our East Hanover, NJ dental office. To learn more about ways to maintain a healthy smile, contact Metropolitan Center for Complete Dentistry or schedule an appointment online.