Dental crowns are permanent dental restorations that dentists use to restore teeth. With today’s advanced technology, we can create a tooth crown that will blend in naturally with the rest of your smile. This common restorative dentistry treatment will allow your tooth to function normally. Dr. Raj Upadya is an expert restorative dentist with the Metropolitan Center for Complete Dentistry. He can provide you with an esthetic dental crown in East Hanover, NJ, if you have a tooth with damage or decay.
What is a Dental Crown?
A dental crown is a dental restoration that completely covers a tooth-like cap. The purpose is to protect the tooth from further damage, stabilize the tooth, and strengthen the tooth. A tooth crown is custom-made from impression to mimic the exact appearance of the natural tooth. There are many types of dental crowns available. They can be made of many materials, including porcelain, gold, resin, or a combination of these materials.
Dr. Raj Upadya places porcelain dental crowns for the most natural look and feel. Porcelain dental crowns are extremely well-fitting and virtually indistinguishable from natural teeth. There are many additional benefits to choosing porcelain to create a dental crown. Our dental practice can create and place a custom porcelain dental crown during a single appointment.
We Can Create a Dental Crown in One Visit Using Same-Day Dentistry
Using sophisticated E4D technology, Dr. Upadya can create dental crowns, inlays, onlays, and other dental restorations during a single visit. Instead of the dental crown process taking two visits, he can prepare your tooth, take digital impressions, design the crown, fabricate it, and place it in a day. The E4D system uses CAD/CAM capabilities to design and create a custom-fit, porcelain dental crown using digital impressions and high-resolution imagery. Expediting the process eliminates the need for a temporary crown and a return trip to our dental office.
Same-day dentistry saves patients time and money and allows their teeth to remain protected and fully functional. This is often the perfect solution for a patient who has experienced tooth trauma or a broken dental crown, allowing them to leave our office with a custom restoration that has restored function and aesthetics.
The Benefits of a Porcelain Dental Crown
Same-day dental crowns are fabricated from a solid block of dental porcelain. There are many benefits to having your dental crown made from this material. It will have a very natural appearance, be very durable, and allow your tooth to function normally. However, the downside to using porcelain is that it does require more tooth structure to be removed to accommodate it. Some advantages of porcelain dental crowns include:
- Aesthetic Appeal: Porcelain crowns resemble natural teeth in color, translucency, and texture. This allows your new restoration to blend perfectly with your surrounding teeth and make your smile appear natural.
- Biocompatibility: Porcelain is a biocompatible material and is well-tolerated by oral tissues. It will not trigger allergic reactions or sensitivities like a metal dental crown can.
- Durability: This type of dental crown is very durable. It can withstand regular biting and chewing forces. If you care for your new tooth crown properly, it will last for many years.
- Stain Resistance: Porcelain is highly resistant to staining, maintaining its color and appearance over time, even when exposed to food and beverages that can cause discoloration.
- Comfortable: Porcelain crowns have a smooth surface that feels comfortable in the mouth and does not cause irritation to gum tissues.
- Versatility: Because porcelain is a durable material, this tooth crown can be used on front and back teeth. This allows us to address various dental concerns.
- Normal Functionality: A tooth with a porcelain crown can function like a natural tooth. You can eat, speak, and engage in daily activities without discomfort or limitations.
- Minimized Sensitivity: Porcelain’s thermal conductivity is closer to that of natural teeth, reducing sensitivity to temperature changes that some other materials might cause.
- Improved Self-Confidence: The porcelain material will provide a natural appearance making it difficult for anyone to know you have a dental crown. This can help boost self-esteem by enhancing your smile’s aesthetics and overall dental appearance.
- Low Maintenance: Porcelain crowns are easy to care for as they only require regular brushing, flossing, and dental check-ups. This normal oral hygiene routine will help to maintain their longevity and appearance.
Receiving a Dental Crown in East Hanover, NJ
The dental crown procedure is quick and simple. After performing an initial consultation and dental exam, Dr. Upadya will determine if a dental crown is the best option for you. You will have an opportunity to tell Dr. Upadya about your cost concerns and cosmetic goals.
Dr. Upadya will work to create an individualized treatment plan that will address any health or functional problems while achieving your cosmetic goals.
- Preparation: The tooth will be prepared to accept the dental crown. Any old fillings or pre-existing crowns will be removed to create a solid foundation for the new tooth crown. Dr. Upadya will take an impression of the tooth and select a shade to match the natural teeth.
- Final Fit & Cementation: The final dental crown will be applied to the tooth many times in the same visit. If the dental crown is being made in a dental laboratory, Dr. Upadya may apply a temporary tooth cap to protect the tooth in the intermediate time period.
- After Care: Caring for dental crowns after your final appointment is easy. Dental crowns can usually be cared for just like natural teeth with a regular brushing and flossing routine. Keeping professional dental cleaning appointments will help to ensure that the dental crown continues to fit properly and keep the tooth and surrounding teeth free of damage and decay. Porcelain dental crowns are highly stain-resistant and will continue to look white and bright for years.
Whenever possible, Dr. Upadya offers same-day dental crowns using E4D technology. This dental technology allows him to design and fabricate a porcelain crown while you wait! View dental crowns before and after photos in our smile gallery.
Dental Crown FAQs
Learn more about dental crowns by reading through our frequently asked questions section. Contact us if you have further questions or concerns.
Is the dental crown procedure painful?
Dental crown treatment is generally pain-free. Dr. Upadya will ensure you are as comfortable as possible, offering sedation dentistry options when needed. It is normal to experience mild sensitivity following treatment. These symptoms generally subside within 1 to 3 days of treatment.
How much does a dental crown cost?
The cost of a tooth crown depends on the material used, the location of the tooth, and the specific condition of the patient. Before your treatment begins, Dr. Upadya will complete a full review of the procedure, including the dental crown cost. While we do not participate in any dental insurance plans, we will submit billing to your insurance company so that you can receive reimbursement directly from the insurance company. If you have specific questions about your dental insurance, please get in touch with our office.
What should I do if I have a broken crown?
If you have a broken crown, please contact our East Hanover dentist office for an appointment with Dr. Upadya. We try to see dental emergency patients on the same day whenever possible.
How long does it take for a dental crown to settle in?
It takes time for a dental crown to settle and for the patient to adjust. Most patients adjust to the crown within three to four days, and can eat, chew, and speak normally after this adjustment period.
How long are dental crowns supposed to last?
The lifespan of dental crowns varies from patient to patient. However, they typically last around 15 years. With good oral hygiene and diet, crowns may last 20-25 years.
Schedule a Dental Exam & Consultation Today
If you want to learn more about dental crowns near Summit, NJ, and East Hanover, NJ area dentist office, Call us at 973-241-5169 or request an appointment online with Dr. Upadya. Metropolitan Center for Complete Dentistry is currently welcoming new patients.